Session Completed Zol, 17 Olarune, 998 YK
- The Stormhold Guild received a contract from one Elkavar d’Deneith, apparently on the recommendation of Sorghan d’Deneith, to act as guards on the ‘Mournland Express’ lightning rail route from Atur, Karnnath to Gatherhold, Talenta Plains. The Guild dispatched the Stormhold Shadows, a team that had been earmarked for work outside of Breland.
- Arriving in Atur by airship the Shadows met Elkavar in the House Orien lightning rail hub, and were given a quick briefing on other important personages on the Express: Conductor Alara Orien, Artificer Dalus d’Cannith, and Master Chef Traven of Sharn.
- Given the run of the rail as it left Atur, the Shadows split up. Nova cased the passengers, on the lookout for personal enemies. She spotted mostly Karns, a number of Jorascos heading to Vedykar and Ghallandas heading to Gatherhold, a small number of hobgoblins, a handful of Talentan halflings, and a House Phiarlan group, with a cross-section of various other Khorvairans.
- Zak and Jurian headed for the containment cart to talk to fellow guard Marus about possible threats. Various Nightwood Forest creatures, Karnnathi bandits, escaped prisoners, Talentan tribesmen with a grudge, elves from Valenar trying to extract tolls, and of course nasty beasts emerging from the Mournland were mentioned. Mournland beasts have so far been turned away by Dalus’s experimental engine and conductor stones, but the job is stressful enough that Elkavar has to keep replacing guards who quit the job in a fit of nerves.
- Zak and Jurian then managed to break into the engine cart, after a short encounter with Traven, as Jurian wanted to test the rail’s security. Despite bypassing both the physical and arcane locks, Dalus was alerted and got the drop on the pair. The Cannith artificer was intrigued by Jurian’s questions concerning the lightning rail, however, and let the pair go after answering their questions. The pair got the impression from the way Dalus talked that Dalus, Alaria, and Elkavar are personal friends who trust one another.
- When they went on duty later that night, the Shadows were directed to act as crowd control in the Luxury Cart during the House Phiarlan show, put on by the Harlequinade. There was little to no trouble outside of a few drunks thrown in containment to sleep it off, and the group were even offered a chance to have a few drinks and relax themselves.
- Zak and Nova were awoken by Marus shouting, leaping up to find two Talentan halflings fleeing the guard with stolen goods. Zak subdued one halfling in quick order, handing the prisoner over to Marus and another wounded guard before following Nova and Elkavar onto the roof, managing to capture the second thief and recover the goods before an accomplice riding a glidewing could enact a retrieval.
WORK IN PROGRESS